[LSF/MM TOPIC][LSF/MM ATTEND] OCSSDs - SMR, Hierarchical Interface, and Vector I/Os

Matias Bjorling m at bjorling.me
Tue Jan 10 05:06:01 PST 2017

On 01/10/2017 05:24 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> This may be an area where if we can create the right framework, and
> fund some research work, we might be able to get some researchers and
> their graduate students interested in doing some work in figuring out
> what sort of divisions of responsibilities and hints back and forth
> between the storage device and host have the most benefit.

That is a good idea. There is a couple of papers at FAST with
Open-Channel SSDs this year.  They look into the interface and various
ways to reduce latency fluctuations.

One thing I've heard a couple of times is the feature to move the GC
read/write process into the firmware. Enabling the host to offload GC
data movement, while the keeping the host in control. Would this be
beneficial for SMR?

-Matias