[LSF/MM TOPIC][LSF/MM ATTEND] OCSSDs - SMR, Hierarchical Interface, and Vector I/Os

Matias Bjørling m at bjorling.me
Fri Jan 6 04:55:27 PST 2017

On 01/06/2017 02:09 AM, Jaegeuk Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 01/04, Damien Le Moal wrote:

>>> Finally, if I really like to develop SMR- or NAND flash oriented file
>>> system then I would like to play with peculiarities of concrete
>>> technologies. And any unified interface will destroy the opportunity
>>> to create the really efficient solution. Finally, if my software
>>> solution is unable to provide some fancy and efficient features then
>>> guys will prefer to use the regular stack (ext4, xfs + block layer).
>>
>> Not necessarily. Again think in terms of device "model" and associated
>> feature set. An FS implementation may decide to support all possible
>> models, with likely a resulting incredible complexity. More likely,
>> similarly with what is happening with SMR, only models that make sense
>> will be supported by FS implementation that can be easily modified.
>> Example again here of f2fs: changes to support SMR were rather simple,
>> whereas the initial effort to support SMR with ext4 was pretty much
>> abandoned as it was too complex to integrate in the existing code while
>> keeping the existing on-disk format.
>
> From the f2fs viewpoint, now we support single host-managed SMR drive having
> a portion of conventional zones. In addition, f2fs supports multiple devices
> [1], which enables us to use pure host-managed SMR which has no conventional
> zone, working with another small conventional partition.

That is a good approach. SSD controllers may even implement a small FTL
inside the device for the "conventional" zones. The size wouldn't be
that big and may only be used to bootstrap rest of the unit. A zone with
a couple hundred megabytes should do. That'll simplify having pblk on
the side next to f2fs.