[RFC 0/8] Copy Offload with Peer-to-Peer PCI Memory

Logan Gunthorpe logang at deltatee.com
Sun Apr 16 09:47:50 PDT 2017

On 16/04/17 09:44 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> I think we very much want the dma mapping layer to be in the way.
> It's the only sane semantic we have to communicate this translation.

Yes, I wasn't proposing bypassing that layer, per say. I just meant that
the layer would, in the end, have to return the address without any
translations.

> The difference is that there was nothing fundamental in the core
> design of pmem + DAX that prevented other archs from growing pmem
> support. THP and memory hotplug existed on other architectures and
> they just need to plug in their arch-specific enabling. p2p support
> needs the same starting point of something more than one architecture
> can plug into, and handling the bus address offset case needs to be
> incorporated into the design.

I don't think there's a difference there either. There'd have been
nothing fundamental in our core design that says offsets couldn't have
been added later.

> pmem + dax did not change the meaning of what a dma_addr_t is, p2p does.

I don't think p2p actually really changes the meaning of dma_addr_t
either. We are just putting addresses in there that weren't used
previously. Our RFC makes no changes to anything even remotely related
to dma_addr_t.

> I think you need to give other archs a chance to support this with a
> design that considers the offset case as a first class citizen rather
> than an afterthought.

I'll consider this. Given the fact I can use your existing
get_dev_pagemap infrastructure to look up the p2pmem device this
probably isn't as hard as I thought it would be anyway (we probably
don't even need a page flag). We'd just have lookup the dev_pagemap,
test if it's a p2pmem device, and if so, call a p2pmem_dma_map function
which could apply the offset or do any other arch specific logic (if
necessary).

Logan