NVME Subsystem Reset Question

Jeffrey Lien Jeff.Lien at wdc.com
Fri Oct 14 10:05:00 PDT 2016

Keith,
We agree with your thoughts on the fact that nvme device should recover automatically without requiring a pci bus rescan, but are seeing behavior to the contrary  with our NVME device as well as an Intel 3600 drive we also have.   Both devices disappear of the pci and require a pci bus rescan to show back up after the subsystem reset is done.

After reading thru the PCI Express spec, it seems like the LTSSM detect state is a transitional state that the device should eventually and automatically leave on its way back to L0 state.   Could you confirm that from your side?  We're just looking for evidence and confirmation from you and the nvme community that this is not correct or expected behavior so  we can convince our firmware team that they need to make a change.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jeff Lien