Accessing the NVMe flash drive of the April 2016 MacBook 12" (A1534) [SOLVED]

Carina Willbold nvme at elfenteich.de
Sun May 15 19:59:51 PDT 2016

Dear NVMe hackers,

I promise that this is the last time I'll spam this list.

Am 2016-05-16 01:48, schrieb Carina Willbold:
> Am 2016-05-15 22:19, schrieb Carina Willbold:
>> I'm trying to access the built-in flash drive of the new April 2016
>> MacBook 12" (A1534).
[...]
> However actually trying to access one of the partitions (for
> instance, trying
> to mount them or executing head -c 20 /dev/nvme0n1p1) results in
> timeouts:
[...]

After a reboot, the timeouts vanished.

I can now happily confirm that accessing the flash drive works using
kernel 4.6.0-rc7 and manually binding using:

     echo 106b 2003 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nvme/new_id

No controller resets or other IO errors occur even with (moderately)
drive-intense activities like compiling and installing packages.

I'll submit a patch which will make the manual binding superfluous
tomorrow.

LLAP,
Carina