nvme device timeout

Judy Brock-SSI judy.brock at ssi.samsung.com
Tue Mar 29 04:04:51 PDT 2016

>>  When it was originally proposed to remove polling, I mentioned we may possibly discover some controllers were unknowingly relying on it. I'm not sure yet if this report is such an issue vs something >> else entirely
> IFF we have to do this it should be a quirk flag for specific controllers that need a not spec compliant workaround.

I think controllers that need it won't know they need it (like Keith hypothesized, will have an unknowing reliance on polling for completions during probe) and so a quirk flag won't do a lot of good.
Seems like it makes sense to put it back in to avoid breaking HW that do need it if there is not a compelling functional reason not to do so. Since 4.6 is still in RC stage, maybe it could be put back into 4.6.