Tested LBA size ?

Olivier Mallinger - IP Maker olivier.mallinger at ip-maker.com
Thu Mar 3 06:56:07 PST 2016

So, "getconf PAGESIZE" returns 4096.

For my understanding, in NVMe system for data transfers, basically two
sizes have to be managed :
   - MPS :Memory Page Size which defines the size of pages to be transferred
   - LBA data size which defines the size of the logical block.

 From the NVMe controller point of view, these two value needs to be
computed for each command (Read/Write) to know the number of page (MPS)
to be transferred.
So controller has to be able to support all combination of MPS and LBA size.

 From the Linux point of view, your answer make me think that all is
based on PAGESIZE and so PAGESIZE defined both MPS and LBA Size (or at
least their maximum values as it works with 512 bytes LBA size for example).
Am I right ? And so a NVMe device including namespace with LBA size
higher than 4kB will never work on a Linux with a PAGESIZE set to 4096 ?

Thanks.
Regards.
Olivier.