NVMeoF multi-path setup

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Thu Jun 30 16:14:55 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 06:52:07PM -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> AFAIK, hch had Intel disable that by default in the hopes of avoiding
> people having dm-multipath "just work" with NVMeoF.  (Makes me wonder
> what other unpleasant unilateral decisions were made because some
> non-existant NVMe specific multipath capabilities would be forthcoming
> but I digress).

For the record, Intel was okay with making SCSI a separate config option,
but I was pretty clear about our wish to let it default to 'Y', which
didn't happen. :)

To be fair, NVMe's SCSI translation is a bit of a kludge, and we have
better ways to get device identification now. Specifically, the block
device provides 'ATTR{wwid}' available to all NVMe namespaces in existing
kernel releases.