target crash / host hang with nvme-all.3 branch of nvme-fabrics

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Tue Jun 21 07:18:43 PDT 2016

> On 17/06/16 20:20, Ming Lin wrote:

> >> Never mind.  I found it (needed 'git pull -t' for pull the tags from the
gitlab
> >> nvmef repo).
> >
> > I run this overnight,
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > while [ 1 ] ; do
> >      ifconfig eth5 down ; sleep 15; ifconfig eth5 up; sleep 15
> > done
> >
> > Although the crash is not reproduced, but it triggers another OOM bug.
>
> Which code-base is this? it looks like this code is just leaking queues.
> Obviously something changed...

Yoichi has hit what is apparently the same OOM bug:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Out of memory and no killable processes...

He hit it with NVMF on the host, _and_ with NVME/PCI with a local SSD.  This is
all with using nvmf-all.3 + Christoph's fix for the target queue deletion crash
(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-nvme/2016-June/005075.html).

Ming, any luck on isolating this?  I'm going to enable kernel memory leak
detection and see if I can figure this out.

Steve.