RCU-ified dm-mpath for testing/review

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 12 10:00:32 PST 2016

On Fri, Feb 12 2016 at 11:04am -0500,
Hannes Reinecke <hare at suse.de> wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 04:26 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 12 2016 at 10:18am -0500,
> >Hannes Reinecke <hare at suse.de> wrote:
> >>>
> >>Good news is that I've managed to hit the roof for my array with the
> >>devel2 version of those patches. (And a _heavily_ patched-up lpfc
> >>driver :-)
> >>So from that perspective everything's fine now; we've reached the
> >>hardware limit for my setup.
> >>Which in itself is quite impressive; beating Intel P3700 with 16FC
> >>is not bad methinks :-)
> >>
> >>So thanks for all your work here.
> >
> >Ah, that's really good news!  But devel2 is definitely _not_ destined
> >for upstream.  'devel3' is much closer to "ready".  But your testing and
> >review would really push it forward.
> >
> >Please see/test:
> >http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/log/?h=devel3
> >
> >Also, please read this header:
> >http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/commit/?h=devel3&id=65a01b76502dd68e8ca298ee6614c0151b677f4a
> >
> >Even with devel2 I hacked it such that repeat_count > 1 is effectively
> >broken.  I'm now _seriously_ considering deprecating repeat_count
> >completely (adding a DMWARN that will inform the user. e.g.:
> >"repeat_count > 1 is no longer supported").  I see no point going to
> >great lengths to maintain a dm-mpath feature that was only a hack for
> >when dm-mpath was bio-based.  What do you think?
>
> Drop it, and make setting of which a no-op.
> Never liked it anyway, and these decisions should really be
> delegated to the path selector.

Sure, but my point is DM-mpath will no longer be able to provide the
ability to properly handle repeat_count > 1 (because updating the
->current_pgpath crushes the write-side of the RCU).

As such I've rebased 'devel3' to impose repeat_count = 1 (both in
dm-mpath.c and the defaults in each path selector).