RCU-ified dm-mpath for testing/review

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Fri Feb 12 07:18:47 PST 2016

On 02/11/2016 04:34 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10 2016 at  8:50pm -0500,
> Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 09 2016 at  7:45pm -0500,
>> Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> OK, I took a crack at embracing RCU.  Only slightly better performance
>>> on my single NUMA node testbed.  (But I'll have to track down a system
>>> with multiple NUMA nodes to do any justice to the next wave of this
>>> optimization effort)
>>>
>>> This RCU work is very heavy-handed and way too fiddley (there could
>>> easily be bugs).  Anyway, please see:
>>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/commit/?h=devel2&id=d80a7e4f8b5be9c81e4d452137623b003fa64745
>>>
>>> But this might give you something to build on to arrive at something
>>> more scalable?
>>
>> I've a bit more polished version of this work (broken up into multiple
>> commits, with some fixes, etc) here:
>> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/log/?h=devel3
>>
>> Hannes and/or Sagi, if you get a chance to try this on your NUMA system
>> please let me know how it goes.
>
> Initial review has uncovered some locking problems with the current code
> (nothing that caused crashes or hangs in my testing but...) so please
> hold off on testing until you hear from me (hopefully tomorrow).

Good news is that I've managed to hit the roof for my array with the
devel2 version of those patches. (And a _heavily_ patched-up lpfc
driver :-)
So from that perspective everything's fine now; we've reached the
hardware limit for my setup.
Which in itself is quite impressive; beating Intel P3700 with 16FC
is not bad methinks :-)

So thanks for all your work here.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		   Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare at suse.de			               +49 911 74053 688