Linux AER reporting

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Wed Aug 24 07:40:30 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:02:46AM -0300, Guilherme G. Piccoli wrote:
> On 08/23/2016 08:56 PM, Nisha Miller wrote:
> >Hi Keith and Guilherme,
> >
> >thank you for your replies.
> >
> >Kernel 4.4.19 does not seem to have nvme driver with support for AER.
> >It is present in Kernel 4.7 but getting it to work on Centos 7.2 is
> >turning out to be quite a task. Arch Linux has kernel 4.7 so I will
> >give that a shot.
> >
> >I should have mentioned that we get the CSTS = 0xFFFFFFFF only after
> >millions of writes. When using fio, it runs for over 30 minutes before
> >the problem crops up.
>
> Hi Nisha, unfortunately the idea of the quirk I mentioned seems useless
> here, since you're getting the error after multiple writes. Hope Keith can
> provide more ideas for you!

An all 1's completion indicates the link is down. There should never be
a case where a functioning drive actually returns that from a read to
the CSTS register.

I'm not sure if PCIe AER has anything do with this, though. Are you
injecting these sorts of errors? If you're just doing normal IO testing,
AER may not apply here.