[PATCH v9 0/5] Support for Open-Channel SSDs
m at bjorling.me
Wed Oct 14 07:42:13 PDT 2015
This patchset implements support for Open-Channel SSDs.
Applies against Jens' for-next and is available through the lkml_v9 branch at:
Changes since v8:
- Specification was changed to define a SSD configuration using a single entry.
This replaces the per-lun specification with a single configuration. Easing
the access to global geometry values and simplifies address calculations.
- Implement PPA addressing modes. Encode NAND flash structure into physical
page addresses. An address now has bits reserved for each part of the flash
units (sectors, page, block, plane, lun, channels), replacing the linear
address space previously found in the LightNVM specification.
- Rename bm_hb to gennvm (generic nvm manager). This part now covers any type
of non-volatile memory media. Thus, it is not only a block manager, but
manages several pieces of core information.
- Add detection for CNEX Westlake controller.
- Completion of I/Os was previously directly completed in the target. Push
completion through the media manager first and then target.
- Rebased on top of latest changes to the NVMe device driver architecture.
- Various fixes and refactoring.
Changes since v7:
- The IOCTL management interface have been created. Devices can now be
managed through the lightnvm-adm tool (ladm). This is available from:
- The debugging management interface is now only available if debugging
is enabled. (/sys/module/lnvm/parameters/configure_debug)
- GCC compatibility fixes (Dongsheng Yang)
- Fix for BM initialization (Dongsheng Yang)
- Fix for error during rrpc init (Javier Gonzalez)
- Refactor NVMe driver to not expect non-standard behavior. Added PCI
id identification for selected devices (qemu-nvme and cnex).
- Enable NVMe metadata to be passed from target.
- Create ioctl interface for management.
- Add NVM_DEBUG flag to explicit enable/diskable parameter
configure_debug access. The interface is only available if debugging
- Add support for physical block address commands.
- Added uapi/lightnvm.h header to expose ioctl interface.
- Fix qemu-nvme initialization extensions regarding L2P translation
- Clean up of dead code.
- Updated e-mails, copyrights, etc.
Changes since v6:
- Multipage support (Javier Gonzalez)
- General code cleanups
- Fixed memleak on register failure
Changes since v5:
Feedback from Christoph Hellwig.
- Created new null_nvm from null_blk to register itself as a lightnvm
- Changed the interface of register/unregister to only take disk_name.
The gendisk alloc in nvme is kept. Most instantiations will
involve the device gendisk, therefore wait with refactoring to a
- Renamed global parameters in core.c and rrpc.c
Changes since v4:
- Remove gendisk->nvm dependency
- Remove device driver rq private field dependency.
- Update submission and completion. The flow is now
Target -> Block Manager -> Device Driver, replacing callbacks in
- Abstracted out the block manager into its own module. Other block
managers can now be implemented. For example to support fully
- No longer exposes the device driver gendisk to user-space.
- Management is moved into /sys/modules/lnvm/parameters/configure_debug
Changes since v3:
- Remove dependency on REQ_NVM_GC
- Refactor nvme integration to use nvme_submit_sync_cmd for
- Fix race condition bug on multiple threads on RRPC target.
- Rename sysfs entry under the block device from nvm to lightnvm.
The configuration is found in /sys/block/*/lightnvm/
Changes since v2:
Feedback from Paul Bolle:
- Fix license to GPLv2, documentation, compilation.
Feedback from Keith Busch:
- nvme: Move lightnvm out and into nvme-lightnvm.c.
- nvme: Set controller css on lightnvm command set.
- nvme: Remove OACS.
Feedback from Christoph Hellwig:
- lightnvm: Move out of block layer into /drivers/lightnvm/core.c
- lightnvm: refactor request->phys_sector into device drivers.
- lightnvm: refactor prep/unprep into device drivers.
- lightnvm: move nvm_dev from request_queue to gendisk.
- Bad block table support (From Javier).
- Update maintainers file.
Changes since v1:
- Splitted LightNVM into two parts. A get/put interface for flash
blocks and the respective targets that implement flash translation
- Updated the patches according to the LightNVM specification changes.
- Added interface to add/remove targets for a block device.
Thanks to Jens Axboe, Christoph Hellwig, Keith Busch, Paul Bolle,
Javier Gonzalez and Jesper Madsen for discussions and contributions.
Matias Bjørling (5):
lightnvm: Support for Open-Channel SSDs
gennvm: Generic NVM manager
rrpc: Round-robin sector target with cost-based gc
null_nvm: LightNVM test driver
nvme: LightNVM support
Documentation/ioctl/ioctl-number.txt | 1 +
MAINTAINERS | 8 +
drivers/Kconfig | 2 +
drivers/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/lightnvm/Kconfig | 48 ++
drivers/lightnvm/Makefile | 8 +
drivers/lightnvm/core.c | 856 ++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/lightnvm/gennvm.c | 467 ++++++++++++
drivers/lightnvm/gennvm.h | 46 ++
drivers/lightnvm/null_nvm.c | 463 ++++++++++++
drivers/lightnvm/rrpc.c | 1308 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/lightnvm/rrpc.h | 239 +++++++
drivers/nvme/host/Makefile | 2 +-
drivers/nvme/host/lightnvm.c | 597 ++++++++++++++++
drivers/nvme/host/nvme.h | 10 +
drivers/nvme/host/pci.c | 39 +-
include/linux/lightnvm.h | 516 ++++++++++++++
include/uapi/linux/lightnvm.h | 130 ++++
18 files changed, 4729 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/Kconfig
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/Makefile
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/core.c
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/gennvm.c
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/gennvm.h
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/null_nvm.c
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/rrpc.c
create mode 100644 drivers/lightnvm/rrpc.h
create mode 100644 drivers/nvme/host/lightnvm.c
create mode 100644 include/linux/lightnvm.h
create mode 100644 include/uapi/linux/lightnvm.h
More information about the Linux-nvme