NVMe mega patchbomb for Linux 4.5-rc (resend)

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Sun Nov 22 00:49:07 PST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 08:14:38AM +0530, Madhu (Macaque Labs) wrote:
> With respect to the split of the driver into PCIe and PCIe agnostic parts,
> would you deem the split complete ? Or is there work still to be done.

I'd say about 95% done relative to my initial target.  There's some trivial
code moves that I have queued up after this series, and then we need to
look into a proper controller state machine.  But as always in Linux
we have moving targets, so things could change in the future.

> A good exercise would be to graft the upcoming SRIO driver and see
> how that coupling works.

SRIO as in Serial Rapid I/O?  How does that driver differ from the PCIe
one?  I'd expect it to still use MMIO access, the DMA API and a similar
queueing model as PCIe, in which case duplicating the whole PCIe driver
would seem wasteful.

Maybe you can post what you have currenly?

> As part of our proposed lightstor standard (NVMe + extensions),

And the specs for your SRIO transport as well as your extension.  Did you
bring either of them up in the NVMe technical working group?