Question on NVMe SCSI Translation Ref 1.5

Robles, Raymond C raymond.c.robles at intel.com
Fri Nov 20 11:54:40 PST 2015

Hi Chris/Jeff,

The SCSI to NVMe translation spec was written as part of the NVMe working group initiative to enable broad adoption of NVMe in the ecosystem. There are other OS environments besides Linux (i.e. VMware, Windows, etc.) where the NVMe driver resides within a SCSI storage stack and therefore receives native OS SCSI commands. For Linux, agreed it does not have much usage considering where the NVMe driver sites in the Linux kernel. However, the NVMe spec or translation spec was not written just for Linux.

Thanks,
Ray