NVMe controller reset

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Wed Mar 25 13:09:56 PDT 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Brandon Schulz wrote:
> One question I would pose is: Do we need to re-enumerate the namespaces after we do a reset?  It seems to me that there are situations where the set of namespaces on a device may change during a controller reset.  How would that best be handled?

Right now you should remove and rescan if the namespace inventory
list has changed. Something like this:

   # echo 1 > /sys/class/nvme/nvme0/device/remove
   # echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

If the characteristics of an existing namespace changed, like from
a format operation, you can issue a BLKRRPART ioctl to the affected
namespace for it to be revalidated.