NVMe scalability issue

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Mon Jun 1 16:02:25 PDT 2015

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, Ming Lin wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm playing with 8 high performance NVMe devices on a 4 sockets server.
> Each device can get 730K 4k read IOPS.
>
> Kernel: 4.1-rc3
> fio test shows it doesn't scale well with 4 or more devices.
> I wonder any possible direction to improve it.

There was a demo at SC'14 with a heck of a lot more NVMe drives than that,
and performance scaled quite linearly. Are your devices sharing PCI-e lanes?

You could try setting "cpus_allowed" on each job to the CPU's on the
socket local to the nvme device. That should get a measurable improvement,
and if your irq's are appropriately affinitized.