4K writes on nvme device vs that on ext4 running on nvme block device

Matias Bjørling m at bjorling.me
Wed Oct 1 01:23:24 PDT 2014

On 10/01/2014 08:41 AM, Bhattacharya, Indranil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was recently doing some experiments using the nvme emulator (nvmeqemu) and I observed a curious thing. There was a marked degradation in write-throughput when I run FIO (multithreaded, O_DIRECT writes) on an ext4 filesystem that has been created on top of a nvme block device; as compared to the same tests which run directly on the nvme block device (i.e. without the filesystem in between).
>
> I plan to repeat this test on a real nvme device as soon as I get one, but some insight from others on the following questions will be helpful:
>
> 	1) Have others seen the same on a real nvme device?

Here's my results from an Intel DC P3700. 4k Random Writes, libaio,
qdepth 16 and two jobs.

Plain

112.556 IOPS
~140us completion time

With ext4

112.267 IOPS
~140us completion time

> 	2) If yes, any possible explanation for the same?

ext4 does some background work in the beginning if lazy inode table init
and lazy journal init have been enabled during mkfs. This might be what
influence your results.