Smart support

Matthew Wilcox willy at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 23 08:35:02 PDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 04:01:11PM -0700, Daniel Stodden wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I've been browsing a bit of the kernel NVMe drivers.
>
> Right now I'm mainly wondering about SMART support. I got as far as
> finding present scsi emulation code and the nvme-user.git repo.
>
> What's the roadmap for nvme-scsi? Is it going to evolve into a full scsi
> device translation layer? Is someone working on a smartctl driver?

Hi Daniel,

I must confess to knowing little or nothing about what SMART requires.
If smartctl would benefit from having an NVMe-specific driver then it'd
be great if somebody worked on that.  If the nvme-scsi module needs a
couple of small enhancements to make the existing smartctl work properly,
then by all means let's add them.  You can see nvme-scsi does translate
LOG_PAGE_TEMPERATURE_PAGE and LOG_PAGE_INFORMATIONAL_EXCEPTIONS_PAGE
already, and does so by requesting the SMART page from the NVMe device.
Is there more that is needed for smartctl's purposes?