Alignment Issue with Direct IO to NVMe Drive

Matthew Wilcox willy at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 27 12:05:09 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 01:09:46PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 2012-11-27 01:35, Laine Walker-Avina wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are experiencing an issue with doing direct IO to a NVMe device I'm
> > helping to develop. Every so often, the physical address given by
> > sg_dma_address() is aligned to 0x800 instead of 0x1000 as specified by
> > blk_queue_dma_alignement(queue, 4095) when the queue is initialized.

FYI, this is a modification to the driver that Laine has made; presumably
for a limitation of the prototype hardware he's working with.  The NVMe
spec requires the device to be able to do I/Os to 4 byte boundaries.

Laine, when this occurs, what is the alignment of 'offset' in the sg
entry you're looking at?  If userspace is passing in an unaligned address,
I don't think there's anything we do to try to align it.