[GIT PULL] UBI and UBIFS updates for v6.11-rc1

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jul 27 20:06:23 PDT 2024

On Fri, 26 Jul 2024 at 13:58, Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:

> This pull request contains updates (actually, just fixes) for UBI and UBIFS:

Does nobody actually check the build output?

  WARNING: modpost: drivers/mtd/ubi/ubi: section mismatch in
reference: ubi_init+0x170 (section: .init.text) -> ubiblock_exit
(section: .exit.text)

and yes, this may be harmless on x86 (and several other
architectures), because the exit.text is dropped at runtime because
dropping it at link time will cause problems for altinstructions.

BUT.

The warning is very real, because on *other* architectures, the
EXIT_TEXT sections may never be linked in at all, because something
that is built-in never gets unloaded, so it never has a module exit.

So __exit literally exists so that the code can be thrown away when not used.

And now you're calling it from a non-exit place.

End result: the warning exists for a reason, and it looks like commit
72f3d3daddd7 ("mtd: ubi: Restore missing cleanup on ubi_init() failure
path") is just broken.

I could try to fix this up in the merge, but honestly, the fact that
apparently nobody bothered to even look at the new warning means that
I just consider this whole pull completely buggered.

I refuse to pull garbage that our build system very clearly warns about.

                Linus