[GIT PULL] JFFS2, UBI and UBIFS updates for v6.3-rc1

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Mar 10 09:17:27 PST 2023

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 4:19 AM Daniel Palmer <daniel at 0x0f.com> wrote:

> > Christoph Hellwig (1):
> >       ubi: block: set BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING
>
> This seems to be causing one of my machines to lock up during boot.
> It's using a squashfs root that is on a ubiblock that is located on an SPI NAND.

Hmm. That commit 91cc8fbcc8c7 ("ubi: block: set BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING") is odd.

Christoph - you removed the

        blk_mq_start_request(req);
        blk_mq_end_request(req, errno_to_blk_status(ret));

from the workqueue function, but while you added the
blk_mq_start_request() into ubiblock_read(), the 'end_request()' is
missing.

So I suspect the IO has completed, but the change means that nobody
was informed about said completion, so now trying to mount an ext4
filesystem on it hangs on the read.

But I don't actually know this code, that was just from looking at the
commit that breaks.

Christoph? Daniel used your infradead address, I don't know if it all
goes into the same pile, but let's use your regular one. And I can't
see Daniel's message on lore.kernel.org at all, for whatever reason,

                  Linus