Trying to boot mainline on Wink Hub v1

Andrew Lunn andrew at lunn.ch
Sun Jun 25 08:24:22 PDT 2023

> I *think* my problem is that U-Boot is not aware of the device tree,
> as I have been passing it as an appended item to the kernel, thinking
> that U-Boot was not Device-Tree compliant. Consequently, it is unable
> to patch it with the contents of the mtdparts environment variable,
> and hence the kernel never knows to go looking for the mtd partitions.

You should be able to fully describe the MTD partition in DT. For
example, from arch/arm/boot/dts/kirkwood-dockstar.dts.

&nand {
        status = "okay";

        partition at 0 {
                label = "u-boot";
                reg = <0x0000000 0x100000>;
                read-only;
        };

        partition at 100000 {
                label = "uImage";
                reg = <0x0100000 0x400000>;
        };

        partition at 500000 {
                label = "data";
                reg = <0x0500000 0xfb00000>;
        };
};

You can then continue with appending the DT blob to the kernel. All
the bootloader needs to do is load the kernel.

    Andrew