UBI scrubbing behavior when readonly

Chuck Meade chuckmeade at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 09:56:20 PST 2023

Hello,

Does UBI scrubbing (moving data to new PEB when read operations report ECC
bitflips) still occur when a UBIFS mounted on the UBI volume is readonly, in
terms of Linux filesystem permissions?

I have looked at the UBI source for scrubbing, and it appears that it will not
occur when the UBI device (or MTD partition to which the device is attached)
is in readonly mode. But what if the UBI device is in read/write mode, but the
UBIFS mounted on the device is in readonly mode?

I am trying to create a configuration where the UBIFS is readonly at the Linux
filesystem permissions level, but UBI scrubbing still occurs when read
operations report enough ECC bitflips.  So no Linux userspace programs may
modify the filesystem due to permissions, but UBI scrubbing still would occur.

Is this possible, or am I missing something in the UBI source code?

Thanks,
Chuck