[RFC v2 1/2] clk: hisilicon: add CRG driver Hi3521a SoC

Marty E. Plummer hanetzer at startmail.com
Mon Jun 6 04:34:55 PDT 2022

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 09:29:59AM +0200, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 05/06/2022 16:54, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:

> >> Fair enough. That being said, for the dt-bindings patch, is it
> >> permissible to include #define CLOCK_FOO 1337 and so on for clocks which
> >> haven't been wired up in the driver yet? As in, you know they're there,
> >> and are important enough to model, but you haven't gotten to that point
> >> yet?
> >
> > What would be the benefit to include them now? I imagine that if you
> > plan to add such clocks to the driver in next week or something, and you
> > need to use them in DTS, then it's fine. If that's not the case,
> > probably there is little sense in defining them upfront...
>
> Actually I see one more benefit - since IDs should be incremented by
> one, you can define all of them upfront thus having some
> logical/alphabetical order/grouping. If you extend the bindings header
> with new IDs later, they must go to the end of the list, thus maybe
> ordering will not be that nice.
>
> If you want, go ahead with all IDs. Just remeber that these must be IDs,
> not register values or some programming offsets.

Yeah, this was my intent. There are a number of non-standard,
proprietary IP blocks on this soc who's 'organized clock number' come
'in between' the more standard bits, depending on how you decide to
organize them (based on their parent clocks, based on the order they
appear in the crg register block, whatever). I *do* intend on hopefully
putting together drivers for these as well, though that's a long-term
stretch goal.