nvmem-cells regression after adding 'call of_platform_populate() for MTD partitions'

Maxim Kiselev bigunclemax at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 03:02:34 PST 2022

I looked closer at commit 658c4448bbbf and bcdf0315a61a, 5db1c2dbc04c16 commits.
Looks like we have two different features binded to one property - "compatible".

>From one side it is the ability to forward the subnode of the mtd
partition to the nvmem subsystem (658c4448bbbf and ac42c46f983e).
And from another side is the ability to use custom initialization of
the mtd partition (bcdf0315a61a and 5db1c2dbc04c16).

What I mean:
According to ac42c46f983e I can create DT like this:
 - |
    partitions {
        compatible = "fixed-partitions";
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <1>;

        partition at 0 {
            compatible = "nvmem-cells";
            reg = <0x40000 0x10000>;
            #address-cells = <1>;
            #size-cells = <1>;
            macaddr_gmac1: macaddr_gmac1 at 0 {
                reg = <0x0 0x6>;
            };
        };
    };

And according to 5db1c2dbc04c16 I can create DT like this:
 - |
    partitions {
        compatible = "fixed-partitions";
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <1>;

        partition at 0 {
            compatible = "u-boot,env";
            reg = <0x40000 0x10000>;
        };
    };

But I can not use them both, because only one "compatible" property allowed.
This will be incorrect:
 - |
    partitions {
        compatible = "fixed-partitions";
        #address-cells = <1>;
        #size-cells = <1>;

        partition at 0 {
            compatible = "u-boot,env";  # from ac42c46f983e
            compatible = "nvmem-cells"; # from 5db1c2dbc04c