[RFC,v1 0/4] Add a driver for Mediatek SPI Nand controller

xiangsheng.hou xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com
Mon Oct 11 04:31:28 PDT 2021

Hi Miquel,

On Fri, 2021-10-08 at 11:20 +0200, Miquel Raynal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com wrote on Mon, 27 Sep 2021 13:36:25 +0800:
>
> > Add a driver for Mediatek SPI Nand controller
> >
> > Mediatek SPI Nand controller cosists of two parts: on-host HW ECC
> > and
> > snfi(stand for spi nand flash interface). They can cowork with high
> > performance which called ECC nfi mode. The nfi stand for nand flash
> > interfacei(snfi a one part of nfi) which can support SPI Nand flash
> > and raw nand flash.
> >
> > However, the snfi driver in spi subsytem need to be aware of nand
> > parameter(page/spare size) and ecc status(enable/disable) when work
> > at ECC nfi mode. The snfi driver in spi subsystem seems difficult
> > know these.
> >
> > Therefore, consider two ways to let snfi can get these information.
> > The RFC patch send to review whether they are suitable and which
> > solution maybe better.
> >

> I've looked at both versions that you provided and I thought about a
> number of things that cannot be done like this:
> - I believe the snfi is a regular SPI controller. I will let Mark
>   confirm but I do not think we want to start writing SPI-NAND
>   controllers. Instead we write SPI controllers and we provide SPI-
> mem
>   operations (we've explained this in a previous ELC, the video is
>   available on YouTube).

The snfi controller can support multiple SPI protocols, which can
support other SPI device in theory. However, the snfi need to know nand
parameter and ecc status(enable/disable) when work with MTK on-host HW
BCH ECC engine for nand flash.

Therefore, the RFC patch v1/v2 is try the way to get these information.

> - You cannot add an MTK ECC algorithm. This is dedicated for sofware
>   solutions only and as far as I understand your engine uses the BCH
>   algorithm.
> - When the ECC engine is pipelined, there is an additional complexity
>   in interfacing it with a SPI controller (that's your case I
> believe).
>   I have an example tintendhat is not yet upstream but I think worth
> looking
>   at that I will send very soon (I will Cc: you on it).

Thanks for your patch.

MTK HW ECC(bch) algorithm can work in pipelined and external.
However, the performance worse when work at ecternal which realize and
verify in local. Therefore, try the pipelined in RFC patch v1/v2.

And also realize the mtd/nand info can be get in spi driver which the
spi-mxic driver in your patch. This may solve most of difficulty that
encountered in the snfi driver that the RFC patch v1/v2 try to resolve.

I will prepare the RFC patch v3 with correct pipelined ecc engine
realization for your review.

Thanks
Xiangsheng Hou