MTD partition size limit

David Oberhollenzer david.oberhollenzer at sigma-star.at
Mon Mar 8 03:25:04 GMT 2021

Hi,

On 2/26/21 4:57 PM, Alexander Bykov wrote:
> Hi.
> Do I understand correctly that If I want to use MTD/UBI/UBIFS on a raw
> NAND device I must partition it in chunks of less than 2GB each?
> I'm trying to install the latest linux kernel on an old Allwinner A10
> tablet which has 8GB NAND attached.
>
> erase_flash works.
>
> ubiformat fails with
> libmtd: error!: cannot seek mtd1 to offset -2147483648
>
> ubiattach fails with error 22 (Invalid argument)

This could be caused by missing large file support in your version of
mtd-utils. A patch has recently been added that enforces large file by
default. But to the best of my knowledge, there is definitely no such
limit on partition size.

Can you try with mtd-utils from the git tree?
(git://git.infradead.org/mtd-utils.git)

It should work as of commit e91700286ff531f344f4d9a1f1c96c501bfeadad

Greetings,

David