[RFC 2/3] mtd: spi-nor: core: compare JEDEC bytes to already found flash_info

Tudor.Ambarus at microchip.com Tudor.Ambarus at microchip.com
Fri Jul 2 06:34:41 PDT 2021

On 7/2/21 4:17 PM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
>
> On 23/06/2021 08.46, Tudor.Ambarus at microchip.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 6/22/21 11:58 PM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
>>> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

>>> Yeah, that would be useful to know, but I don't have any hopes
>>> whatsoever of Macronix engineers being able to help sort out the mess
>>> they've created by reusing IDs in the first place. They don't seem to
>>> understand how that can possibly be a problem.
>>>
>>> I, and my client, have contacted them on several occasions to ask how
>>> we're supposed to deal with that. At one point, the answer was
>>> "MX25L3233F support Serial Flash Discoverable Parameters (SFDP) mode,
>>> MX25L3205D does not support.", but when I asked the obvious follow-up
>>> ("but the MX25L3205D datasheet warns against doing RDSFDP or any other
>>> not explicitly allowed command"), I got no response.
>>>
>>> Another response was
>>>
>>> "I can only comment on Linux 4.4, as that is the only version that I
>>> have supporting material for. Basically we have a patch for MTD/SPI-NOR
>>> (see attached). This is to allow allow the MTD subsystem to cope with
>>> devices that have the same ID (see below first paragraph of application
>>> note attached). Please note that the MX25L3205D had an EOL notification
>>> on 14th May 2010."
>>>
>>> and that attached patch is a 173KB .patch file that made me taste my
>>> breakfast again.
>>>
>>> And they keep repeating the argument that when a chip is EOL, it's OK to
>>> reuse its ID (because obviously nobody have used that chip in a product
>>> that would receive OS updates, so any OS released later than that EOL
>>> date can just include support for the newer chip and drop the old one...).

>>> I can certainly extend the regexp in jedec,spi-nor.yaml to match this
>>> new one. DT is supposed to describe the hardware, so I can't see how
>>> that could possibly be controversial.
>>
>> No, please don't go that path yet.
>>

>>>  So if this will
>>
>> I'm not hesitant, I'm keeping my NACK until we're sure there isn't any other way
>> to differentiate at run-time.
>
> It seems that we have established that by now, right?

It is unlikely that RDSFDP will cause any problems for the old MX25L3205D,
I would like to differentiate between the two flashes by parsing SFDP.

I'm preparing a patch set to address the all the ID collision thingy.
https://github.com/ambarus/linux-0day/commit/b760260efecb4f3678de3b78250f99338ecbad1b