Issues analyzing a UBI-Image

spiekermann.it spiekermann.it at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 03:00:32 PST 2021

Hi all,

I have an UBI-Image extracted from a smart home device. I try to
analyze this image, but I have different issues regarding this image.
1.) How can I determine the version of the kernel, which was used to
create the image? if I understand the documentation correctly, the
structure of the VID-Header has changed from kernel 2.6.x to the
current version. (Just checked this version due to some issues with
some pdf-files I found in the web)
2.) I find some structures (UBI# and UBI!) in the image, but due to
the aforementioned problem, I am not able to understand the following
structure of the header (and, because of this, I am unable to detect
files in the image). Which information can be used to investigate the
image?

I found a blocksize of 4320 byte and can extract different information
by this, but there is no real breakthrough in my investigation.

If you need additional information, please let me know

Thanks in advance
Dan