[RFC] MAINTAINERS tag for cleanup robot

Sat Nov 21 12:18:57 EST 2020

On Sat, 2020-11-21 at 08:50 -0800, trix at redhat.com wrote:
> A difficult part of automating commits is composing the subsystem
> preamble in the commit log.  For the ongoing effort of a fixer
> producing
> one or two fixes a release the use of 'treewide:' does not seem
> appropriate.
>
> It would be better if the normal prefix was used.  Unfortunately
> normal is
> not consistent across the tree.
>

> 	D: Commit subsystem prefix
>
> ex/ for FPGA DFL DRIVERS
>
> 	D: fpga: dfl:

I've got to bet this is going to cause more issues than it solves.
SCSI uses scsi: <driver>: for drivers but not every driver has a
MAINTAINERS entry.  We use either scsi: or scsi: core: for mid layer
things, but we're not consistent.  Block uses blk-<something>: for all
of it's stuff but almost no <somtehing>s have a MAINTAINERS entry.  So
the next thing you're going to cause is an explosion of suggested
MAINTAINERs entries.

Has anyone actually complained about treewide:?

James