merge struct block_device and struct hd_struct

Jan Beulich jbeulich at suse.com
Wed Nov 18 04:23:51 EST 2020

On 18.11.2020 10:09, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:04:04AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>>
>>> No way.  Individual CCs are completely broken as they don't provide
>>> the reviewer a context.
>>
>> That's the view of some people, but not all. Context can be easily
>> established by those who care going to one of the many archives on
>> which the entire series lands. Getting spammed, however, can't be
>> avoided by the dozens or hundreds of list subscribers.
>
> kernel patches are never "spam", sorry, but for developers to try to
> determine which lists/maintainers want to see the whole series and which
> do not is impossible.
>
> Patches in a series are easily deleted from sane mail clients with a
> single click/keystroke all at once, they aren't a problem that needs to
> be reduced in volume.

This doesn't scale, neither in the dimension of recipients nor in
the dimension of possible sources of such series.

While it may seem small, it's also a waste of resources to have mails
sent to hundreds of even thousands of people. So while from a
technical content perspective I surely agree with you saying 'kernel
patches are never "spam"', they still are from the perspective of
what "spam mail" originally means: Mail the recipients did not want
to receive.

Jan