Some questions about the spi mem framework

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at bootlin.com
Wed May 16 05:42:04 PDT 2018

On Wed, 16 May 2018 20:11:39 +0800
Xiangsheng Hou <xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com> wrote:

> Hi Boris,
>
> On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 17:25 +0200, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:43:20 +0800
> > Xiangsheng Hou <xiangsheng.hou at mediatek.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Boris,
> > >
> > > I have seen you are working on extend the framework to generically
> > > support spi memory devices.
> > > And, I am working on upstream SPI Nand driver of Mediatek SPI NAND
> > > controller based on your branch[1].
> >
> > Great!
> >
> > > I have some questions need your comment.
> > >
> > > 1) There is a difference between different SPI NAND Flash when using the
> > > Quad SPI command,for example Macronix,Etron and GigaDevice,
> > > Quad SPI commands require the Quad Enable bit in Status Register(B0H) to
> > > be set.
> > > However, current spi-mem framework does not have this operation,
> > > do you have a plan to support it?
> >
> > I added support for the QE bit in the v7 I sent just a few minutes ago
> > [1].
>
> Ok,I have studied v7.
>

> > > 2) I see that current spi-mem framework doesn't support ECC,
> > > But we need ECC, and we use Mediatek controller's HW ECC
> > > instead of spi nand on-chip ECC,
> > > maybe other companies also have this behavior,
> > > So the ECC part must be implemented in controller's driver.
> > > Will you abstract ECC interface in future?
> >
> > Well, I added support for on-die ECC in my v7 since all chips seem to
> > provide this feature. I was initially planning on abstracting ECC
> > engines, but I decided to go for a simpler approach and only support
> > on-die ECC. That does not mean we shouldn't work on this "ECC engine
> > abstraction", just that I wanted to get something out and didn't have
> > time to spend on this topic.
> >
> > I'd be happy if someone else could work on that aspect though. BTW, do
> > you plan to use this engine [2], or is this yet another ECC engine?
>
> Yes,I plan to use this ecc engine[2].

Cool. That probably means we'll have to move the driver one level up
(in drivers/mtd/nand) and work on this ECC engine interface I was
talking about.

> > > 3) You know, some nand controller need configure their registers when
> > > getting some information(page size, spare size) of nand flash,
> > > But the spi-mem framework doesn't has an interface for scanning NAND
> > > flash, when controller driver initialization.
> >
> > You seem to mix 2 different things:
> > - spi-mem: this is generic interface provided by the SPI framework to
> >   send spi_mem_op. There's nothing NOR or NAND specific in there, and
> >   I'd like it to stay like that as much as possible
> > - spinand: this the spi-mem driver that is dealing with SPI NAND
> >   devices, and this is where all the code related to SPI NAND support
> >   should end up.
> >
> > Can you tell me exactly why your SPI controller needs such a detailed
> > description? Is it able to program/read pages or erase blocks on its
> > own? Do you have a spec of this controller publicly available?
>
> For Mediatek SPI Nand controller,I have to configure registers for ECC
> engine,page format and spare format according to nand information just
> like[3] in mtk_nfc_hw_runtime_config() function.

So it's all related to the NAND controller, nothing specific to the SPI
controller, right?

> > > Now we have to do the setting in spi_controller_mem_ops->exec_op for
> > > every operation.
> >
> > Yes, you do, at least for now.
>
> Yes,I do it for now.BTW,I have to disable on-die ECC in there, because
> we use Mediatek controller's HW ECC.

Why don't you start by supporting things without the HW ECC engine
(using on-die ECC), and then, once the SPI controller driver is
working properly, work on the ECC engine abstraction I was talking
about?

In my experience, it's better to do things iteratively rather than
trying to support everything in the first version.

> > > Maybe it not an efficient practice.
> > > Could we supply an interface for controller to scanning NAND Flash when
> > > in module probe process?
> >
> > I'm thinking about a direct mapping API that could be used by spi-mem
> > drivers to directly map portions of the SPI-mem in the CPU address
> > space, but I don't have code yet. Having a datasheet of your controller
> > would probably help understanding what your needs are exactly and how
> > we can expose that through the spi-mem API.
>
> Ok,I will apply to the company for public spec of Mediatek SPI Nand
> controller.

Thanks,

Boris