UBI assert failed in ubi_wl_init

Richard Weinberger richard at sigma-star.at
Thu Mar 22 08:05:52 PDT 2018

Timo,

Am Donnerstag, 22. März 2018, 14:57:57 CET schrieb Timo Ketola:
> On 21.03.2018 00:02, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > Timo,

> >> Of course I can but what would be the difference to simple rebooting? I
> >> get the assertion failure on every boot from the second one onwards.
> >> Before I commit to that one, let's look what I found recently.
> >>
> >> I already tried the replay but bumped into ECC errors. Due to that and
> >> other things I switched the kernel to Freescale IMX 4.9.74 with Boundary
> >> fixes. I reduced the size of the user partition to 1800M and got rid of
> >> the 'could not get any free erase block' and 'Unable to write new
> >> fastmap' errors. The assertion failures from the second boot onwards
> >> remained.
> >>
> >> I wondered why I'm not seeing the same issue with my smaller 64M system
> >> mtd. Then I reduced the user partition to 48M and the mtd to 64M and the
> >> issue vanished. Then I kept the partition at 48M but restored the mtd
> >> size to 1800M and the issue returned. If I make the mtd size 0x4e680000
> >> or smaller there is no issue. If I make it 0x4e6a0000 or larger the
> >> issue is there. Every time I erased the NAND and burned a fresh image.
> >>
> >> What do you want me to do next?
> >
> > Did you verify the image or not? :)
> > I asked you do to so because the image you sent me does not make sense
> > and I'm not sure whether I can trust it.
> > Hence I asked for a double-check.
>
> Ok, sorry.
>
> Here is a dump after the second boot:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oa2lV_OB_tC-SX_c4jylnMXK6x1xhj2o
>
> After I dumped it I erased the whole mtd, wrote the dump back there,
> dumped another dump and verified that it was identical with the first
> one. Then I rebooted and observed that the issue was still there just as
> before.

This image contains a Fastmap, but it is invalid.
The image has a length of 2079326208 bytes, your PEB size is 128KiB.
Therefore PEB count is 15864.
But the Fastmap references PEBs 15865, 15866 and 15867.

This explains the failing assert, Fastmap talks about PEBs which are unknown
to UBI.

Can it be that your mtd partition layout is bad/broken?

Thanks,
//richard

--
sigma star gmbh - Eduard-Bodem-Gasse 6 - 6020 Innsbruck - Austria
ATU66964118 - FN 374287y