Does modern UBI/UBIFS still suffer from the 'unstable bits issue'?

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Sat Mar 3 02:40:31 PST 2018

Tim,

Am Freitag, 2. März 2018, 17:20:57 CET schrieb Tim Harvey:
> > Just to be sure, this is SLC NAND, right?
>
> No, its a MT29F16G08 16GB MLC

Sorry, MLC NAND is not supported by UBI and UBIFS [0].

The ECC errors you are facing are most likely caused by paired pages.
On MLC NAND, pages come in pairs. If a write operation is interrupted, not
only the current page is corrupted like on SLC, also the already written
paired page is lost too.
Boris Brezillon and I spent a lot of time in addressing this problem but came
to no good solution after all.
Well, we had a solution but it needs a lot of testing and fine tuning, sadly
we run out of budget.
Beside of that, read and write disturb are also an important factor, this can
be addressed with the experimental ubihealthd.

Thanks,
//richard

[0] http://linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_ubifs_mlc