mtd layer: support of hybrid flash(W25M161AW) having both NOR and NAND flash

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Mon Jan 8 07:45:32 PST 2018

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 16:18:33 +0100
Jonas Gorski <jonas.gorski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 January 2018 at 15:32, Boris Brezillon
> <boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 14:43:56 +0100
> > Jonas Gorski <jonas.gorski at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> At least with what I was thinking of (with the spi-multiplexer) this
> >> should be impossible, as the (virtual) spi bus message pump should
> >> ensure that any messages from spi-nand and spi-nor are properly
> >> serialized so they could only end up as in Frieder's example, unless
> >> I'm overlooking something.
> >>
> >> So my virtual's spi implementation would look like this:
> >>
> >> struct W25M161AW {
> >>         struct spi_device *spi; /* we at the parent bus */
> >> };
> >>
> >> int W25M161AW_transfer_one_message(master, message)
> >> {
> >>         W25M161AW *w = spi_master_get_devdata(master);
> >>         spi_device *spi = message->spi;
> >>
> >>         W25M161AW_send_die_select(w->spi, spi->chip_select);
> >>
> >>         /* pass on the message to the parent bus */
> >>         spi_sync(w->spi, msg);
> >>         spi_finalize_current_message(master);
> >>
> >>         return 0;
> >> }
> >
> > I wish all QSPI controllers were exposed as regular SPI controllers with
> > QSPI capabilities, unfortunately most of them are standalone drivers
> > that simply does not implement the generic SPI interface and instead
> > directly register to their flash devices to SPI NOR layer, thus
> > preventing the generic logic you're proposing here :-(.
> >

> >> (this is a very simplified version, of course we can't pass on the
> >> message directly to the parent bus but need to clone it)
> >>
> >> This way AFAICT there should be a guarantee that there can be no other
> >> message to the flash scheduled between the die select and the message
> >> to the die.
> >>
> >> Of course if we need to ensure that there is no die change between the
> >> PROGRAM and the PROGRAM EXECUTE we need the extra bus lock. Without a
> >> public datasheet I can't tell though.
> >
> > I found this one [1] if you want to have a look.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Boris
> >
> > [1]http://www.winbond.com.tw/resource-files/w25m161av%20combo%20reva%20091317%20mod%20final.pdf
>
> Thanks, that helped a lot. If I understand it correctly, we don't need
> to care about interleaving e.g. the PROGRAM and PROGRAM EXECUTE with
> NOR commands. "5. CONCURRENT OPERATION DESCRIPTIONS" (Page 7) says:
>
> "However, the
> inactive/idle die can still perform internal Program/Erase operation
> which was initiated when the die was
> active. Therefore, “Read (on Active die) while Program/Erase (on Idle
> die)” and “Multi-die Program/Erase
> (both Active & Idle dice)” concurrent operations are feasible in the
> SpiStack ® series. “Software Die Select
> (C2h)” instruction will only change the active/idle status of the
> stacked dice, and it will not interrupt any on-
> going Program/Erase operations."
>
> So we shouldn't need to lock the bus for multiple related SPI messages.

> [...]

Sure, and I thinks that's what you and Prabhakar suggested. I just
overlooked the case where partitions are defined in the DT, hence my
initial suggestion to not define dies in the DT. So, in the end, the
following looks like a valid representation:

&qspi {
	qflash0: dual-flash at 0 {
		compatible = "winbond,w25q16fw";
		reg = <0>;