mtd layer: support of hybrid flash(W25M161AW) having both NOR and NAND flash

Prabhakar Kushwaha prabhakar.kushwaha at nxp.com
Mon Jan 8 00:42:32 PST 2018

Thanks Jonas, Boris,

Let me try to put my understanding and some proposal based on discussions.

Device tree update:-

&qspi {
        qflash0: dual-flash at 0 {
                compatible = "winbond,w25q16fw", "hybrid"; <-- new compatibility value
                reg = <0>;
                spi-max-frequency = <20000000>;
                #address-cells = <1>;
                #size-cells = <0>;

                nor at 0 {
                                compatible = "jedec,spi-nor";
                                reg = <0>;
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <1>;

                                partitions {
                                };
                };

                nand at 1 {
                                compatible = "jedec,spi-nand"; /* or
whatever the correct nand-compatible would be */
                                reg = <1>;
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <1>;

                                partitions {
                                };
                };

    };
};

There will be only one file i.e. fsl_qspi.c handing NOR and NAND. QSPI controller will have SPI NOR and a SPI NAND controller embedded.
Question: What should be the location of this file?  driver/mtd/spi-nor definitely is not right place??

Change in Data structures
----------------------------------

struct mtd_info {
	----
	struct mutex *hybrid_flock;
 	---
}

struct fsl_qspi {
	---
	struct spi_nor nor[FSL_QSPI_MAX_CHIP];
	struct spinand_device spinand[FSL_QSPI_MAX_CHIP];
	---
}

Function implementation
----------------------------------

fsl_qspi.c
	 probe() {
  		 for_each_available_child_of_node(dev->of_node, np) {
			if compatible "hybrid" {
				hybrid_flock = malloc(sizeof(struct mutex));
       				- if compatible "jedec,spi-nor"
					spi_nor_scan()
       				- if compatible "jedec,spi-nand"
					spinand_init()

				mtd_device_config_hybrid_lock(spi_nor->mtd, hybrid_flock);
				mtd_device_config_hybrid_lock(spinand->mtd, hybrid_flock);

			} else {
       				- if compatible "jedec,spi-nor"
					spi_nor_scan()
       				- if compatible "jedec,spi-nand"
					spinand_init()
			}
		}
	}

Whenever read/write/erase come from MTD layer , Take MTD layer lock in function definition i.e. mtd->_read_oob, mtd->_write_oob. mtd->_erase...
For eg.
spi_nor_read (struct mtd_info *mtd ...) {

	if (hybrid_flock)
		mutex_lock(&mtd-> hybrid_flock);
	spi_nor_lock_and_prep();
	spi_nor_unlock_and_unprep();
	if (hybrid_flock)
		mutex_unlock(&mtd-> hybrid_flock);
}

static int spinand_mtd_read(struct mtd_info *mtd, ...)
{
	if (hybrid_flock)
		mutex_lock(&mtd-> hybrid_flock);

	mutex_lock(&spinand->lock);