[bug report] mtd: plat_nand: request memory resource before doing ioremap

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Tue Feb 20 01:36:18 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:07:59AM +0100, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:41:15 +0300
> Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > [  This is really weird that Smatch is complaining about ancient code
> >    today.  No idea why.  - dan ]
>
> Probably because I moved NAND code around recently.
>

> > Hello H Hartley Sweeten,
> >
> > The patch 2d098a725333: "mtd: plat_nand: request memory resource
> > before doing ioremap" from Oct 19, 2009, leads to the following
> > static checker warning:
> >
> > 	drivers/mtd/nand/raw/plat_nand.c:100 plat_nand_probe()
> > 	info: return a literal instead of 'err'
>
> Hm, I don't really get this error message? What's wrong with returning
> err when it's 0? It's true that we could return 0 directly, but I don't
> see it as a real issue. Am I missing something?

There are a couple reasons.  Literals are more readable:

 	if (!ret)
-		return ret;
+		return 0;

But the main reason is that most of the time in the kernel we do
error handling instead of success handling.  So sometimes the '!'
character is just a typo.  This kind of bug would normally be caught
in testing unless we weren't able to test it or it's in a permission
check where we normally expect the function to just return zero.

> > drivers/mtd/nand/raw/plat_nand.c
> >     78
> >     79          platform_set_drvdata(pdev, data);
> >     80
> >     81          /* Handle any platform specific setup */
> >     82          if (pdata->ctrl.probe) {
> >     83                  err = pdata->ctrl.probe(pdev);
> >     84                  if (err)
> >     85                          goto out;
> >     86          }
> >     87
> >     88          /* Scan to find existence of the device */
> >     89          err = nand_scan(mtd, pdata->chip.nr_chips);
> >     90          if (err)
> >     91                  goto out;
> >     92
> >     93          part_types = pdata->chip.part_probe_types;
> >     94
> >     95          err = mtd_device_parse_register(mtd, part_types, NULL,
> >     96                                          pdata->chip.partitions,
> >     97                                          pdata->chip.nr_partitions);
> >     98
> >     99          if (!err)
> >    100                  return err;
> >                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Ugh...  Success handling.  There seems to be a lot of it in this
> > subsystem.  :(
>
> Yep, there's a lot of ancient code that no one dares to touch in the
> fear that it may break things. Also, there's so many old drivers that
> cleaning up everything would take a lot of time.

Yes.  Of course.  I understand.

> >    101
> >    102          nand_release(mtd);
> >                              ^^^
> > This call to nand_release() makes no sense.  It calls unregister but
> > mtd_device_parse_register() failed.
>
> You're right, we should call nand_cleanup() here.  This being said,
> calling mtd_device_unregister() should be harmless because of this test
> [1].
>
> To sum-up, this code is definitely not meeting the kernel standards in
> term of code quality, but it doesn't seem to be buggy either.

Thanks for taking a look at this code.  I have looked at it some more
and you're obviously right that it works.  Part of what puzzled me, is
that I had no clue that nand_cleanup() went with nand_scan().  I sort of
figured from the context that we must be freeing something that
nand_scan() allocated, but it wasn't obvious.

regards,
dan carpenter