UBIFS does not mount after powerfail

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Sun Nov 19 12:52:44 PST 2017

Manfred,

Am Donnerstag, 16. November 2017, 17:51:26 CET schrieb Manfred Spraul:
> Hi Richard,
>
> (2nd mail, forced as non-html)
>
> On 11/15/2017 09:29 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > Manfred,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 15. November 2017, 21:04:14 CET schrieb Manfred Spraul:
> >> Hi,

> >> Sorry for the self-reply, I did another test:
> >> I applied "ubifs: replay: Detect and kill orphaned xattrs", i.e.
> >> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/780667/.
> >
> > I would be astonished if that patch would fix your issues, it is supposed
> > to fix a -ENOSPC problem.
>
> After enabling chk_fs, the result was
>
> > UBIFS error (ubi0:0 pid 5104): dbg_check_filesystem: inode 39012 nlink is
> > 1, but calculated nlink is 0
> and link count 1 instead of 0 sounded a bit like a leak.
>
> dmesg:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculix-rpm/files/ubifs/chk_fs/result-1680
> 78.txt/download image:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/calculix-rpm/files/ubifs/chk_fs/image-16807
> 8.bin/download
>
> Thus I decided that it might make sense to try a patch that should
> improve the behavior with leaks.
> And it did not take much time.

Hmmm, maybe we confuse UBIFS that much that it fails differently in your case.

Anyway, let's reconsider.
If you're facing the problem which should be solved by the said patch, we can
do a check.

1. Do you face the issue without ecryptfs?
2. Does it also happen without xattrs being used at all? Hence also without
ecryptfs?

I'm afraid that the patch has still problems (it is not merged for reasons).
So, please keep on a stock kernel for now.

Thanks,
//richard