nand_flash_detect_onfi issue

Kees Trommel ctrommel at aimvalley.nl
Thu Jul 27 23:35:59 PDT 2017

Hi all,

When testing with a LS1021A based custom board with NAND device the
U-boot printed 512 times the error message "fsl_ifc_read_byte beyond end
of buffer".

An investigation in this issue showed that the U-Boot function
"nand_flash_detect_onfi" in "drivers/mtd/nand/nand_base.c" read beyond
the 256 bytes written into the read buffer by the NAND chip driver as
result of the NAND_CMD_PARAM command. This happens only in case the CRC
of the ONFI parameter page is not correct.

My question is whether the NAND_CMD_PARAM command must be in the "for (i
= 0; i < 3; i++)" loop or whether the NAND chip driver
(FSL IFC in this case) should read 3*256 bytes from the NAND device
because an ONFI compatible device duplicates the ONFI parameter page.

I will continue to investigate why the CRC fails. The CRC fail itself is
outside the scope of this email.

Kees.