[GIT PULL] mtd: spi-nor: Changes for 4.11

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Feb 8 17:33:48 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:39:22PM -0800, Brian Norris wrote:

> So that actually sounds like drivers like m25p80 should never have to
> account for spi_max_transfer_size(), but instead should have to account
> for only spi_max_message_size().

You might have both depending on how the hardware is structured, some
things support multiple transfers while controlling the chip select
internally.

> > and in fact this is already done in spi_split_transfers_maxsize().

> > We're missing masking that out in spi_max_transfer_size() though so
> > clients won't know if we can handle things, it's overly conservative.

> Huh, I've never noticed spi_split_transfers_maxsize(). That looks like
> work for it got dropped on the floor somewhere though; nobody is using
> it yet, and it's over a year since its introduction.

Yeah, the optimisation for rpi ground to a halt.  We should probably
just unconditionally do that in the core if something declares a maximum
transfer size.