Problem with NAND memory data retention

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Fri Apr 28 01:36:52 PDT 2017

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your response!

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Lukasz Majewski <lukma at denx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ricard,

> > > I think the interpretation is that the manufacturer guarantees
> > > that under the circumstances specified (temperature, supply
> > > voltage, erase cycles etc) that the data will be retained for at
> > > least ten years, beyond that it's just not specified. It doesn't
> > > mean that something catastrophic will happen after ten years,
> > > i.e. ten years is not a hard limit beyond which things start
> > > going haywire.
> >
> > Thanks for your explanation.
> >

> > > I can't say I have experience with old NAND flashes loosing their
> > > data, but technically I would expect that what happens is that
> > > eventually the charge leaks away from the bit cells, causing bit
> > > flips, quite simply, so it's the same mechanism that requires the
> > > flash to be 'scrubbed' periodically to check if the data needs to
> > > be rewritten.
> > >
> > > I.e. it's the first case in your list, the number of bit flips
> > > increases.
> >
> > Unfortunately with my device I do experience the second scenario.
> >
> > I do observe pages read as zeros.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I think I have seen the same issue: one defective device did not
> respond to CFI QRY.
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2014-May/053872.html

I do not have (yet) the CFI commands dump, but in my case Erase->
Reflash sequence causes the file content to be correct.

IMHO, If the Flash memory controller itself is broken, then
"re-flashing" would not help.

Maybe - in my case the NAND flash driver (2.6 kernel) causes the issue
(with zero filled page showing up in the middle of a YAFFS file) by some
write done at mistakingly calculated address?

Any ideas/hints are more than welcome :-)

Best regards,
Łukasz Majewski