ONFI timing mode with onfi_set_features unsupported

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 22 04:22:59 PST 2016

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:18:54 +0100
Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:10:47PM +0100, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:02:27 +0100
> > Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> > > Indeed, but my current project doesn't allow to spend that much time at
> > > the moment.
> >
> > Understood. Let's wait for Han's review.

> > > With hackish I mean that I think the problem should be solved in the
> > > core. How about returning -EOPNOTSUPP from onfi_set_features() when the
> > > operation is not supported? The caller could then decide what to do
> > > without testing for bits in the onfi param page.
> >
> > The problem is, ->onfi_set_feature() is a method that can be overloaded
> > by NAND controller drivers. Of course, we could add a wrapper around
> > ->onfi_set_feature() (nand_set_feature()?),
>
> Such a wrapper would have the advantage that we wouldn't have to repeat
> the
>
> 	if (!chip->onfi_version ||
> 		    !(le16_to_cpu(chip->onfi_params.opt_cmd)
> 		    	      & ONFI_OPT_CMD_SET_GET_FEATURES))
>
> test in each driver with a special onfi_get_features() implementation.

You're right.

> > but then, the meaning of
> > -ENOTSUPP is not clear. It could be returned if the
> > ->onfi_set_feature() is NULL or if the requested feature is not
> > supported
>
> ->onfi_set_feature() will never be NULL as it's set to nand_onfi_set_features
> if it's NULL in during registration.

You're right, that's actually one of the problem with calling
->onfi_set_feature() without having any guarantee that the underlying
->cmdfunc() will implement it properly. But that's another story.

> Also I would suggest -ENOSYS if the
> driver is lacking support for an operation.

ENOSYS is documented as "Invalid system call number". Not sure it is
appropriate to describe a missing operation.

> > Another solution would be to add an extra helper to check if a specific
> > feature is supported:
> >
> > bool nand_feature_supported(nand, feature_id);
>
> Yes, that would work aswell. Up to you to decide ;)

Let's go for the first proposal: nand_{get,set}_feature() wrappers
returning -ENOTSUP if ONFI_OPT_CMD_SET_GET_FEATURES is not set.
Note that even non-ONFI NANDs support the SET/GET_FEATURE commands, so
the test you suggested above is incorrect.

Ideally, we should have an extra bitmap marking features as supported or
not, and let NAND id detection code set these flags. But in the
meantime, we can just use your test with a comment saying that this
should be reworked if we want to support SET/GET_FEATURE on non-ONFI
NANDs.

Regards,

Boris