ubiblock RW

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Fri Mar 25 14:25:17 PDT 2016

Am 25.03.2016 um 21:50 schrieb Ezequiel Garcia:
> I guess we could have some UBI parameter to enable this support,
> and print a very noisy message to warn users about potential
> device wear out -- naively assuming users read messages...

As I wrote in my previous mail, I think a new parameter for the ubiblock
tool would do the job.
I'd default ubiblock to RO and via the ubiblock tool you can enable RW mode.
...which would also trigger a warning.

What I'd like to avoid is a kernel command line or a Kconfig option to make
RW default. If someone *really* wants RW she has to run ubiblock --enable-rw....
in userspace. This should even work for block filesystems on top of UBI
as root fs as you can remount them later RW.

Sounds like a plan?

Thanks,
//richard