ubiblock RW

Ezequiel Garcia ezequiel at vanguardiasur.com.ar
Thu Mar 24 14:26:44 PDT 2016

On 24 March 2016 at 17:38, Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 24.03.2016 um 15:23 schrieb Ezequiel Garcia:
>> +MTD
>>
>> On 23 March 2016 at 14:40, Benson Young <benson6877 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello Ezequiel,
>>>
>>> I came upon the discussion about block device emulation over UBI.
>>> http://linux-mtd.infradead.narkive.com/YF0XOFxY/block-device-emulation-on-top-of-ubi-volumes-with-read-write-support
>>>
>>> I understand the most recent implementation is read-only emulation for
>>> mounting squashfs based file system.
>>> However, I would really like to see the write option be brought back. If
>>> not, can you please help me about enabling the write option in my build?
>>> I have used the patch listed in the following link
>>> https://lwn.net/Articles/525957/
>>> but i couldn't find any accompanying util that allows me to create the ubi
>>> block volume.
>>>

>> You should be able to use mtd-utils' ubiblock tool (maybe you'll need to do
>> some modifications).
>>
>> http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_ubiblock
>>
>>> Reason for this request is that I am looking into root file system
>>> encryption over un-managed NAND flash. Now the mainline method of disk
>>> encryption in Linux revolves around
>>> dm-crypt module which requires a block device. i am under the impression
>>> that using mtdblock works to an extent until the partition you try to
>>> map/encrypt has bad blocks in it.
>>> I have seen discussion about using UBIFS, and I have seen a paper discussing
>>> it, where the author embeds the encryption engine within UBI layer, so each
>>> write and read is encrypted. However, its a path I would take when I have no
>>> choice. Right now dm-crypt is my first choice basically because of the
>>> availability of support/discussion/information.
>>>
>>> I also saw you mentioned that you don't have NAND flash for testing, this is
>>> something that I can help with. I have an abundance of NAND flash devices.
>>
>> I have some devices with SLC NANDs now, but thanks for the offer.
>>
>>> For simplicity sake, I work with SLC because of better endurance compared to
>>> MLC. I am also curious about flash endurance with EXT4 over UBI. Destructive
>>> erase/write will definitely on my to-do list.
>>>

>> So, like I said here:
>>
>> http://linux-mtd.infradead.narkive.com/YF0XOFxY/block-device-emulation-on-top-of-ubi-volumes-with-read-write-support
>>
>> We can definitely implement write support if we have a good use case for it.
>> Encryption might be one.
>>
>> Richard, what do you think?
>
> I'm definitely not fond of adding write support to ubiblock without turning it into a proper FTL.
> Otherwise it will be abused and will cause serious damage.

I'm not sure this statement makes much sense without actual numbers.

Of course, eraseblocks will be erased much more often with a regular
block-oriented
filesystem. But a user could agressively control write access and prevent this.

Would it be that bad to add write support and add some big warning to
prevent users about potential damage?

--
Ezequiel García, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar