UBIFS question

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Mar 17 04:43:59 PDT 2016

> > We expect the flash devices to start failing quicker than normally
> > expected due to the environment in which they will be operating in, so
> > sudden NAND blocks turning bad will eventually happen and what we
> > would like to do is try and capture this as soon as possible.
> > The boards are not accessible as they will be located in very remote
> > locations so detecting these failures before the system locks up would
> > be an advantage so we can report home with the information and fail
> > over to the other filesystem (providing that hasn't also been
> > corrupted).
>
> Dealing with sudden bad NAND blocks is almost impossible.
> Unless you have a copy of each block.
> NAND is not expected to gain bad blocks without an indication like
> correctable bitflips.

Yes, although the NAND flash documentation sometimes reads like blocks can
suddenly 'go bad' for no special reason, in practice it is due to
excessive erase/write cycles, i.e. its a wear problem.

However, I don't know, if you are operating the flash in an environment
where there is cosmic radiation that can actually damage the chip for
instance, then of course any part of the chip could fail randomly with a
fairly high probability. But NAND bad block management is not designed to
take care of that case, which is why bad block detection is only done
during block erasure (i.e. when a block fails to erase).

/Ricard