Is ubiattach alone somehow damaging a partition?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:05:04 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 21:52 +0100, john smith wrote:
> On 3/9/16, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are both mtd1 and mtd2 supposed to carry UBI?
> > I'm not rally sure what you are trying to do...
> Hmm... probably not as kernel booting command does not contain
> anything similar to this:
>
> root=ubi:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs ubi.mtd=flash1.rootfs0
>
> However, I just thought that I can use ubiattach to be able to mount
> any given mtd device.  I was looking for a way to get access to a
> currently not used mtd device.  If ubiattach is suitable for this,
> then what may be?

Yeah, as Richard said, this is a bit vague description.

If you know what LVM is, what you are saying is something like:

"I just thought that I can use vgimport to be able to mount any block
device. I  was looking for a way to get access to a currently not used
block devices. If vgimport is suitable for this, then what may be?"

Indeed, try to express what you want to achieve, and them may be it
becomes clearer to us.

Artem.