mtd: pxa3xx_nand: issue with command time out

Hamish Martin Hamish.Martin at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Tue Mar 1 14:17:38 PST 2016

Hi Robert, Ezequiel, and Brian,

I have been working with Michael Wang on this issue and wanted to update
you on our results as we think there is a wider issue to resolve here.

I believe Ezequiel's analysis of the IRQ sequence is correct. The
proposed patch from Brian is not needed, not does it resolve our issue.

Further, we have debugged in more detail with kernel tracing and see
that the problem occurs because nothing calls 'schedule()' in the kernel
within the timeout period (200ms) to actually allow the IRQ bottom-half
thread ((pxa3xx_nand_irq_thread()) to run.

With the trace enabled we were able to see long delays between the IRQ
thread being queued for run as a result of the return with
IRQ_WAKE_THREAD in pxa3xx_nand_irq(), and a call to schedule() actually
selecting the thread for execution. This delay was tied to whatever else
was happening in our system during the boot up when this issue occurs.
For instance, if a mutex got unlocked this would ultimately lead to a
call to schedule() and our thread (pxa3xx_nand_irq_thread()) would run.
If some file system ops happened schedule() would get called. These
unrelated activities were required so that schedule() got called and the
scheduler would let the bottom-half execute.
In our tracing we saw the issue occur whenever the call to schedule()
didn't occur before the timeout expired. In short, if we got lucky and
something completely unrelated happened that led to a call to
'schedule()', then the issue didn't occur. If we got unlucky and nothing
called schedule(), the issue was observed.

We have enabled CONFIG_PREEMPT in our system to resolve this. This has
the effect of leading to a triggering of 'schedule()' at the end of
processing interrupts. This means that we now see a nice tight execution
of pxa3xx_nand threaded IRQ such that we see all ops completing with
less that 20ms delay.

I wanted to highlight this to you because I think it shows that the
change to a threaded IRQ is probably only safe if we can guarantee
scheduling of the bottom-half thread within the time out period (200ms).
I think this is not safe for systems with CONFIG_PREEMPT not configured.
Or perhaps there is a better way to resolve this. Is this a deficiency
in the Armada XP code?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Hamish Martin