[RFC] Raising the UBI version

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Wed Jun 22 06:17:32 PDT 2016

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 15:09:59 +0200
Michal Suchanek <hramrach at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2016 at 14:43, Boris Brezillon
> <boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 21:19:50 +0200
> > Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear MTD folks,
> >>
> >> For the emerging MLC NAND support we need to change the UBI on-flash format.
> >> Of course existing UBI images will keep working and remain fully supported.
> >> Our approach to deal with MLC (and basically TLC) NAND is LEB consolidation.
> >> In this operation mode a single PEB can host multiple LEBs. In the MLC case 2,
> >> for TLC 3. For more details please refer to my announcement[0].
> >> Hosting multiple LEBs in a single PEB means that beside of a single EC header,
> >> a PEB will carry multiple VID headers, one for each LEB it contains.
> >> This change needs to be annotated in the EC header.
> >>
> >> Both EC and VID headers have a version field. Currently it is set to 1. Our
> >> original plan was just raising UBI_VERSION to 2, and, of course, accept
> >> version 1 image as well. The first hassle was that UBI_VERSION is exported
> >> in /sys/class/ubi/version and libubi refuses to work if the version is not 1.
> >> Breaking existing userspace tools is not acceptable, so we need another
> >> approach.
> >>
> >> LEB consolidation is not really a completely new UBI implementation, it is
> >> an addon feature. So we came up with the idea of having feature flags in
> >> the EC header. Maybe we need later more flags, who knows?
> >>
> >> Boris and I sat down and came up with two possible ways to implement such
> >> flags:
> >>
> >> i) Rename ->version in EC and VID headers to ->features. ->features will
> >>    be evaluated at attach time and UBI has to figure whether it supports
> >>    all request features. The field is one byte long, therefore we can encode
> >>    8 features.
> >>    As starter two features would be supported:
> >>       UBI_FEAT_BASE   = 1
> >>       UBI_FEAT_CONSO  = 2
> >>    That means regular UBI images on SLC would only have set UBI_FEAT_BASE and
> >>    nothing else. Existing UBI implementations would see ->features with
> >>    UBI_FEAT_BASE set as ->version = 1, so we're safe. On MLC NAND we'd set
> >>    UBI_FEAT_BASE and UBI_FEAT_CONSO which would be seen as ->version = 3 and
> >>    rejected by UBI implementations which do not support LEB consolidation.
> >>    To not break userspace tools /sys/class/ubi/version would be hardcoded to 1
> >>    and the ->features field exported in /sys/class/ubi/features and
> >>    /sys/class/ubi/ubiX/features_used. The features sysfs file denotes what
> >>    features this UBI implementation supports and features_used shows what
> >>    features the attached UBI image requested. If we change the UBI on-flash
> >>    format in a major way, UBI_FEAT_BASE would not be set.
> >>
> >> ii) Keep ->version in EC and VID headers and use padding bytes from both headers
> >>     to add a new ->features field. If ->version is 1, ->features will remain 0
> >>     and not evaluated. If ->features should be evaluated, ->version will be 2.
> [...]

Old UBI users will keep exposing version 1. Version 2 will only be used
for those wanting to enable support for UBI consolidation, so old
mtd-utils should keep working, unless the user explicitly tried to
create a consolidated UBI image, or attached the UBI layer to an empty
partition on an MLC NAND after enabling consolidation support. That's
rather unlikely, and if it happens it's the end-user fault.