Block device emulation on top of ubi volumes with read/write support

Charles Godson cestgodson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:29:45 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Richard Weinberger <richard at nod.at> wrote:
> Am 21.01.2016 um 01:19 schrieb Daniel Ehrenberg:
>> Oh that's right. We considered that, but ultimately decided we wanted
>> to isolate the partitions from each other in terms of wear leveling.
>>

> Why that? Usually you want the wear-leveling domain as large as possible.
>
> Thanks,
> //richard

Dan, I am trying to do the opposite: have one UBI container with
multiple volumes (this is similar to hard drive and its partitions).
Wear levelling is going to be spread over the whole flash, and that
should be far better than having smaller mtd partitions. Now I can use
ubi tools to resize volumes, clean them out, reformat them and all of
this on the fly. My only concern is flash corruption. Anyone have the
experience with multi-volume UBI and flash corruption(s)?

Thanks,
Charles